The lower half of the front façade with porch canopy dates from 1953 when the first Gospel Hall was erected on the site. This brick-built frontage housed toilets, small kitchen (now the church office) and another small meeting room. Beyond that led into the main meeting hall which was an ex-RAF timber Nissen hut. This was our main hall between 1954 and 1963 when the present Chapel was built, almost entirely by the volunteer labour of members and friends.
In 1970, additional rooms to the rear of the main Chapel were built, adding much-needed extra space for all the children’s and youth activities and larger kitchen.
The present building remains structurally unchanged from 1970’s although many of the rooms have been adapted and re-equipped for today’s needs. Over recent years we have made further improvements including a professional standard kitchen plus a small café area furnished with bistro tables and chairs and hot drink facilities. A separate comfortable lounge is ideal for small discussion groups and meetings.
Further refurbishments in 2016 significantly upgraded the rear room originally designed as a youth hall with new windows, lowered ceiling and improved heating and lighting.
In the Summer of 2020, whilst the building was in lockdown due to coronavirus restrictions, further improvements provided a new disabled toilet and other major accessibility modifications generously funded by Royal Sutton Coldfield Town Council’s Community Grant Programme.
[click to continue reading about us-next page]